Partyquette: Mind and Matter

So my laptop has been returned and it appears to be working smoothly. I've been hungrily back tracking through my google reader and I found a couple of very interesting finds that I wanted to share.

First, this article about misinformation. If you've ever worked in an office, you've probably gotten some spammy emails from a co-worker regarding some made-up "PSA". Pretty annoying. Well maybe you can "spam" this article to everyone in the office as a not so subtle hint hint. My next find was again on lifehacker. The article is about reclaiming your self-respect. I really enjoy the comment section on lifehacker so after skimming over the article I came to this comment:

Sounds like something Dr. Seuss once said: "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

I was ready and rearing to tweet this quote but the previous misinformation article must have subliminally guided me to search the quote on google and low-and-behold:

Misattributed

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.


Bernard Baruch in response to a question by Igor Cassini as to how he handled the seating arrangements at his dinner parties, as quoted in Shake Well Before Using: A New Collection of Impressions and Anecdotes Mostly Humorous (1948) by Bennett Cerf, p. 249; the full response was "I never bother about that. Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." This anecdote is also quoted online at Chiasmus.com. It has also become part of a larger expression, which has been commonly attributed to Dr. Seuss, even in print, but without citation of a specific work: "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

The quote by Bernard Baruch (presidential adviser to FDR) is a great quote and he deserves credit. It is especially relevant here because it is about seating arrangements at a party. I tend to agree with Bernard; seating arrangement is not necessary. So let is be known


Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.


And if you want, you can apply the same thinking when trying to decide if you should speak your mind, show your emotions or dance on the dance floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...