Ready...Set...Thrift!

Thrifting Research

I thought it was finally time to talk about one of my favorite things to do; thrifting! But before I dive in with any of my thrifting, I occasionally do a little reconnaissance. Of course some occasions are best left impromptu but I'm referring quality and efficiency. So here are a few things I do if my mission is to get in, get out with fantastic items.


ONLINE

{Websites}
I frequent Goodwill so I always check out the local websites for deals and/or events that are going on.

{Craigslist}
Craigslist (aka thrifting online) has an RSS feed so if you are looking for a particular item in a particular price range with an image, search for it in your location and then copy the link of the results and put it into the feed you use (I use googler reader). This way you will be able to see new listings that fit your criteria without going to the website and entering in your search. You could also bookmark the link.


LOCATION

I have the good fortune to be situated in the midwest and also be a hop and skip away from the south. And in my experience, different places are going to have different items indigenous and popular in that area. Also I've found the more south I've gone the cheaper things are especially if not situated near a big city.


CALENDAR

{Seasons}
Consider the timing of your visit. Certain seasons will have more of certain items. For the most part thrift stores, like Goodwill, set out stuff that represents the season but they also rely on people getting rid of items and I don't know about you but I am more likely to get rid of items that I'm not using from a different season. Here are some things you may find that are contrary to the current season:
  1. Winter: gardening equipment
  2. Spring: mason jars
  3. Summer: school supplies
  4. Fall: picnic baskets

{Holidays}

Remember that holidays also dictate the items that are set out. If I'm buying items for the holiday I always turn to thrifting. Cheap, Cheap, Cheap. You can't beat that for items that are used once a year and may end up right back where they came from. And just like regular retail stores, the items are even cheaper after the holiday. Side note: I'll start updating our SoOh Calendar to reflect what I see in the thrift stores, so check back.

And that's it...

If you do any research before you thrift, please share in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...